Roller Skate Christmas Stocking.
OK, let's get real for a second. I am soooo bored by traditional Christmas stockings. They remind me of my grandmother. To be fair, I will always have love in my heart for the classic Christmas themes and traditions, but who said Christmas could only be red and green?
It's time we make our stockings reflect ourselves and the things we like. That's why I decided we needed a roller skate stocking. Violet and I have a matching pair of white skates with pink wheels that we both are obsessed with. It's pretty stinkin' cute when we skate together!
If you follow me on Instagram, you can catch photos of the skates with the always needed rainbow socks. Those pictures were my inspiration for this stocking.
When I got to thinking about how I wanted to create this I knew that I didn't want it to be a sewing project. I wanted it to be a project that was easy to complete and one that kids could get their hands on. Just switch out the hot glue for fabric glue so they don't get hurt.
While looking for a stockings this year I was really dissapointed. Nothing was colorful and bright like Violet's personality. And so many of them had characters on them that were mostly for little ones. We had one that had been given to us in a box of Christmas decorations recently and wasn't really our style, but I hung onto it in case I didn't find anything else. Thank goodness I did because it was so easy to transform it and I didn't have to sew the stocking. I could just use its shape.
You can use any stocking you have hanging around and make your skate anyway you want. Change the colors, add pom poms and glitter! Get creative with your bad self.
This stocking made Violet jump over the moon! She LOVES it! It's so her and I love that we updated a classic tradition. All we have to do know is wait for Santa to fill it with goodies!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Old stocking
- Felt in a rainbow of colors and white
- Silver fabric or felt
- Hot glue
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Find an old boring stocking and flip inside out so the fur stands up going the same way as the stocking, not folded over. This makes the stocking longer and exposes the fur on top.
2. Take your white felt and trace the shape of the lower foot area. You will need 2 pieces. one for the front and one for the back.
3. Cut strips of your felt in every color. I used red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pinl to make rainbow socks. You want to make them about 1-1.5 inches thick. If you have a bigger stocking go bigger and if you have a smaller one go a little smaller.
4. Hot glue your first color right underneath the fur top.
5. Layer your colors going down and glue into place.
6. Place your white feet part onto place and glue down.
7. Top the skate with one more felt strip to even out the skate.
8. Cut out 2 pink wheels and 2 metallic or gray felt piece for the center of the wheels for each side. Make a pink bumper piece and 4 strips of pink felt for laces
9. Glue wheels onto stocking and glue the bumper onto the other side of stocking so its hanging over the edge. You will cover the glued part of the bumper when you move to the back side. Glue laces into place but wait to connect it to the other side until you have finished the back.
10. Repeat steps for the back of the stocking and glue laces into place.
11. Hang by the fire with care ;)